A Brief History Of Grenagh Camogie And Ladies Football Club
After the formation of Grenagh GAA club in 1934 the ladies of the parish set out to form a Camogie club. Around 1935 the first camogie club was formed, however this club was not affiliated so only took part in training sessions and practice games that were held in locations such as the Inch Field in Rockhill. The team at the time had players such as Mary B Buckley, who was the captain, Nora Creedon. Kathleen Kenny, Kathleen Donovan, Ann Twomey, Sheila Sullivan, Nora Harte, Joan Twomey, Maureen Kenny, and Cissy Harte.
With the decline of memberships, the team and camogie activity ceased by the late 1930’3. In 1944 the club was reformed under the guidance of Ted Mullane, President and Kathleen Kenny, Secretary. At this time the camogie division of the Muskerry Board was formed which gave great boost for the Grenagh club to develop, now that they were affiliated with a board that organised various competitions. Many games were played during the mid-1940’s with the highlight being reaching the Muskerry divisional final in 1945.
By 1947 membership had once again fallen as many players had left the area. There was a period in the late 1940’s when a club was formed in Courtbrack, this too suffered due to lack of members as people were leaving rural Ireland. In the early 1950’s Grenagh and Courtbrack ladies came together. During 1955 the club contested the County Junior Final. By the end of the 1950’s the club was disbanded due to another decrease in numbers. Attempts were made during the 60’s and 70’s to reform the camogie club but to no avail.
During 1984, while the parish celebrated the 50th anniversary of the foundation of the GAA club, interest was once again rekindled in camogie and a new committee consisting of Breda Kenny, Breda McDonnell and Noreen Mannix was formed. That year U14, U16 and Junior B teams were formed and competed in divisional competitions.
Over the next 20 years interest was kept alive in the camogie club, not only by the development of many underage teams, competing in divisional and county completions , but also being involved in with the local primary school in Rathduff. The committee also kept the members interested and involved with many auxiliary activities such as the annual Scor’s with Ceol, Caint agus Damhsa.
With the fast growing popularity of the LGFA nationwide, the interest of ladies football took hold in the parish. At the Camogie AGM in2005, motions put forward and were passed, which saw the current Grenagh Camogie and Ladies Football club emerge. Officers elected to lead the club in its new endeavours were Donal Hurley, Ann Donovan, Mary O’Keeffe-Jones, Mary Donovan, Christine O’Keeffe, Padraig Sheehan, Fr. Liam Kelleher, Willie Sherlock ,Tim McSweeney, Ann Murphy, Ken O’Callaghan, Valerie O’Farrell, Ann Buckley, Deirdre Allen & Mary O’Connell.
Since this time the club has gone from strength to strength catering for age groups from U6 all the way through to Junior. Over the past 30 odd years the club has won many honours in both camogie and football and has produced many players who have gone on the represent the club at both divisional and county level. As our membership is growing, we want to thank those who have kept the flag flying and have provided us with a strong foundation on which to build for the future. With a strong and committed nucleus of committee members, supportive parents and dedicated players we look forward to the next exciting chapter in our club’s journey.